Drug abuse and addiction cost U.S. employers billions of dollars a year in workplace productivity, healthcare, and crime-related expenses. Equip your staff with the tools they need to identify signs and symptoms of substance use, misuse, and addiction.
Drug-Free Employee Education
This education session focuses on raising employees' awareness of the effects of mood-altering substances on the workplace as well as the indicators of substance misuse and addiction. Drug and alcohol testing information will be provided and your organization's drug-free workplace policy will be examined.
Key Learning Points:
- Impact of alcohol and other drugs on the workplace
- Signs and symptoms of substance use, misuse, and addiction
- Disease model of addiction
- Effects of commonly used drugs in the workplace
- Community resources for addressing substance use issues
- Company drug and alcohol policy information
- Additional content that varies from year-to-year, often related to current trends in the workplace and/or the community at large. This may include information on the opioid epidemic, effects of marijuana and synthetic marijuana on job performance, and the impact of medical marijuana legislation on the workplace.
Drug-Free Supervisor Training
This training focuses on the leader’s role and responsibilities related to Reasonable Suspicion Testing. It is primarily a skill-building class which includes interactive discussions, case scenarios, and experiential learning.
Key Learning Points:
- Behavioral observations aimed at detecting when an employee may be impaired due to drugs and/or alcohol
- Using a checklist format, document behavior or appearance that suggests reasonable suspicion and justifies alcohol and drug testing
- Appropriate and professional confrontation of the behavior that suggests a possible violation of the employer's drug-free workplace policy
- Referral process for employee assistance services, including drug and alcohol assessments
- Follow-up process upon the employee's return to work, including follow-up testing, ongoing support, and monitoring
This training can be designed to meet the Ohio Bureau of Workers' Compensation Drug-Free Safety Program and/or the Department of Transportation (DOT) Drug-Free Workplace training requirements.
What are the options for delivering this training?
ERC can deliver Drug-Free Workplace Training at your organization for large and small groups of employees or in webinar format. Find out more about our delivery options below.
Meet the Trainer
Kathleen Blasko Stewart is an independent contractor with ERC, specializing in employee assistance consultation and drug-free workplace training.